Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lean Mass and Density Journey

My name is Tim I’m 38 years old, married with two kids (6yo daughter and 5yo son). I’m going to post my training and nutrition in here as an example of how I train and eat. I am natural, I have been back to training for about 4.5 years after a 10 year period of being fat and lazy. I started back to training in 2014, after my second kid was born and deciding I needed to change my lifestyle if I wanted to see them grow up. At that point I was around 250lbs at 5’8” and well into the 30%+ bodyfat range. I keep things relatively simple, focusing most of my efforts on compound multi joint exercises with the goal being progression. I have had pretty good success on my journey thus far, and I attribute that to being consistent and eating to my goals. For a natural trainee, food is a major factor that can be controlled and manipulated to effect changes. I have run surpluses up to somewhat higher bodyfat levels just trying to add weight to the bar. My max lifts getting up to 315lb bench, 515lb deadlift, 435lb squat. I am not able to hit those numbers right now as I have been dieting down since the beginning of the year. My current goals are to shake off the bloat I added over a vacation I’m just finishing up, so I will be in a calorie deficit for a while longer, after I get back to mid to lower 170s I will start a small surplus and try to regain any lean body mass I’ve lost on the way down. I’ll include some pics and lifting vids in here as well as my actual training and food logs. I hope it helps people in some way. I have longer term views on bodybuilding, because it takes a long time....I try to enjoy the journey because there is no real destination, there are always improvements that can be made, and I don’t think I would ever feel like I am completely satisfied, that’s what keeps me on track. I self program but do advocate others run established programs to learn what works for them. I have run many established programs and had trained for about 10 years prior to stopping for a decade. I’m happy to ansewer any questions as we go along.

So I was hovering around 175lbs probably around 10% body fat. I had a few day family trip where I pretty much ate everything I wanted in massive quantities. That’s not ideal, but I chose to do it and have no regrets. I ate many things I don’t normally eat, and it was fun . It added about 10lbs over a couple days, which is mostly water weight and bloat. I run very low carbs, and this year a borderline ketogenic diet, although typically run my protein a little higher than true keto recommendations. It helps keep me sane and reasonably satiated while in a deficit. That keeps my wife and kids happy when I’m not hangry it really has been an amazing tool for me just eliminating starchy carbs/grains from my diet. I stumbled on it by accident one day I ran out of my normal 35 calorie bread and at my meals without. I noticed I wasn’t starving 2-3hrs later and decided to give a keto like diet a try. I bought a blood ketone meter (measures BHB and glucose) and have run various experiments regarding macro intake and ketone levels. I don’t really care so much about ketones, I can tell when I’m in mild ketosis now, and satiation is my goal rather than medically therapeutic effects of ketosis. I don’t think that dietary approach is ideal for everyone. I think some people do better with higher carb intakes, but for myself carbs tend to make me feel lethargic, and induce a lot of hunger. I feel more energetic and alert as well as mentally focused running very low carbs and a higher fat intake. It also meshes well with the foods I enjoy which is also good for compliance. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE high carb foods, I think ate nearly my bodyweight in waffles and muffins the last few days on vacation, but it’s not a way that I can eat and have any sort of good body composition.

Saturday 7/7/18
    182.2 (was 185+ yesterday and I expect bloat to come back off pretty quickly)

morning paved trail bike ride
    13.5 Miles / 55 minutes

M1 9:00am
    3 eggs, 3oz turkey sausage crumbles
    325 cals / 32g pro / 22g fat

M2 1:00pm (875c/96p/41f)
    15oz Cajun riced cauliflower, 12oz garlic herb talapia, topped with 60g guacamole
    550 cals / 74g pro / 19g fat

M3 4:15pm (1375c/132p/75f)
    6oz burger, 6oz sautéed kale 14g butter
    500 cals / 36g pro /34g fat

M4 7:00pm (1975c/184p/106f)
    6oz pork blade steak, 15oz broccoli
    600 cals / 52g pro / 31g fat
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-08-2018, 11:15 AM.

Sunday 7/8/18
    180.2 lbs

Vacation bloat is coming off. Not sure what the plan is for today. Might take the the kids to the pool, and maybe get another bike ride in. Back to work tomorrow after being on vacation for 18 days, it’s gonna be rough...Had great weather though and was able to have a lot of fun with the kiddos. Still have some yard work and mulching to do but is going to be pretty warm today so I might leave that for when it’s cooler.

M1 8:15am
    4 eggs, 3oz turkey sausage crumbles
    400 cals / 37g pro / 28g fat

M2 10:30am (860c/77p/55f)
    15oz riced cauliflower, 6oz grass fed beef
    460 cals / 40g pro / 27g fat

M3 1:45pm (1400c/118p/91f)
    6oz kale sautéed in 28g olive oil blend butter, 5oz grilled chkn thighs with 45g sugar free bbq
    540 cals / 41g pro / 36g fat

M4 4:45pm (2050c/195p/120f)
    12oz tilapia, 15oz riced cauliflower with a few oz dried wild mushrooms, 45g guacamole some pork rinds
    650 cals / 77g pro / 29g fat
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-08-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Nice log here! I have a similar looking diet.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmoo View Post
        Nice log here! I have a similar looking diet.
        Thanks! Hopefully some people will find some things of use in here. I am currently doing a LOT more volume than normal, but much of it is re-hab/pre-hab type stuff for a shoulder issue I have been dealing with. It limits my pressing to an extent but I am getting to the point where I can put in some quality work on presses. I'm also working through with lumbar strain, LOL its hell getting old. Actually the back strain was all on me, little bit of ego lifting on deads trying not to lose more ground from dieting and let form get a little sloppy. This way of eating has worked really well for me for dieting, getting most of my carbs from fibrous veggies. I am able to get by on deficit calories without anywhere near the hunger I usually experience when cutting.

Monday 7/9/18
        178.6 Lbs

Bloat continues to come off, will see where my weekly average ends up. I should be back to 175 range within a week or two. I might diet a little more if I see there is some increased efficiency after taking a diet break for a few weeks and eating at maintenance. Decent session today, I put in the work and felt pretty good doing it. I'd like to go back to BB Rows instead of cable rows but I don't think my lower back is there yet. I'll see how squats and deads treat me tomorrow.

BB Bench
        135x10
        185x5
        225x5
        245x4
        245x3
        245x3
        205x9
        205x7

SS With

Cable Rows
        160x10
        180x10
        200x8
        220x6
        220x6
        200x8
        ---------------------
        BB OHP
        45x10
        95x8
        115x6
        135x5
        135x5
        135x5

SS With

Lat Pull-downs
        160x10
        180x10
        200x8
        200x8
        200x8
        ---------------------
        Dips
        BW+45 X 6
        BW+45 X 7
        BW+45 X 7
        BW+45 X 7
        BW+45 X 6

SS With

DB Lateral Raises
        15sX20
        20sX15
        20sX15
        -------------------------
        TUT Tri Set
        Rear Delt Machine
        85x12
        85x12
        85x12
        85x12

Tri Set with

DB Flys
        50sX10
        55sX10
        55sX10

Tri Set with

DB BTN Triceps Press
        50x10
        55x10
        60x10
        --------------------

M1 7:15am
        3 eggs, 3oz turkey sausage
        325 Cals / 31g pro / 22g fat

M2 10:15am (775c/73p/52f)
        6oz grilled pork blade steak, 30g sugar free bbq sauce
        450 cals / 42g pro / 30g fat

* Lunch walk 4 mi / 60 min

M3 1:45pm (1250c/107p/87f)
        6oz 90/10 burger 2oz homemade avocado oil Giardiniera
        475 cals / 34g pro / 35g fat

M4 4:30pm (2000c/180p/124f)
        8oz grilled skinless chkn thighs, 60g sugar free bbq, 20oz seasoned riced cauliflower, some pork rinds later.
        750 cals / 73g pro / 37g fat
        Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Tuesday 7/10/18
          176.8 Lbs

The bloat is coming off, I'm guessing it will slow down now because its likely I added a little fat on my couple of days of eating like a pig on vacation, lifting belt had to be one notch bigger today. Easy enough to trim back off. I did feel the calorie restriction today after I had been running around 2400-2600 range at about maintenance for several weeks. Lower back continues to limit squats and deads but I am regaining some ground on them. I pulled a couple slow and controlled singles at 405 just to test the waters. There was some lower back pressure but not much pain. I'll ease them back up. 405x5 was essentially my last warm-up set for several years when I was a little heavier, now 405x5 is work. Different focus though so I'm not too worried. Once I start eating at maintenance or a very small surplus I have no doubt the numbers will come back up quickly. Overall it was an okay session considering the last 3-4 days I have been eating closer to 2000 cals. I did add another 10 lbs to BB lunges, a relatively new movement for me. They really work my legs, and I am starting to get better with balance and not wobble and need to correct my footing.

5:05-6:15am / 70 Min / 27 sets

Squats (Slow and Cautious)
          135x10
          225x5
          275x5
          315x5
          315x5
          315x5

SS With

Hammer Strength Preacher Curls (PWO)
          70x10
          90x10
          100x8
          100x7
          100x8
          ----------------------
          Deadlift (Slow and Cautious)
          135x5
          225x5
          315x5
          365x5
          405x1
          405x1

SS With

DB Hammer Curls
          35sX10
          40sX10
          45sX8
          45sX8
          ----------------------
          BB Lunges
          135x8
          155x8
          175x8 (+10lbs)

SS With

Decline Sit-ups
          BWx30
          BWx30
          BWx30
          ------------------------
          3 HB eggs, 3oz turkey sausage

M2 10:15am (775c/73p/52f)
          6oz grilled pork blade steak, 30g sugar free bbq sauce
          450 cals / 42g pro / 30g fat

* Lunch walk 3 Miles / 45 min

M3 1:30pm (1250c/115p/76f)
          6oz 90/10 beef, 12oz steamed broccoli, 7 ml garlic infused olive oil
          475 Cals / 42g pro / 24g fat

M4 5:15pm (2200c/206p/122f) < daily totals (cals / protein / fat )
          20oz riced cauliflower with 2oz miatake mushrooms, 14oz broiled salmon
          950 cals / 91g pro / 46g fat

Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-10-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Subbed! I cant wait to follow along man.

Comment

Originally posted by Induced_Drag View Post
              Subbed! I cant wait to follow along man.
              Awesome! Don’t hestitate to comment on possible program changes when I switch gears in awhile and start trying to build. I’m kind of in diet mode holding pattern right now. Working through some minor injuries. Amazing how much more fragile I seem to get when I get leaner. That coupled with ego lifting a little because I hate losing ground on lifts when dieting .

Wednesday 7/11/18
              176.4 lbs

scale weight not not too bad, Im looking flat and depleted as of yesterday so I gained about what I thought in actual weight, about 2lbs (of fat). I loosely guessed I was in at about an 8000 calorie total surplus in my full feed eat anything and everything I wanted part of my vacation (about 2 days). I enjoyed it, and it was worth it . I did have a little more salt yesterday on my dinner too because I was craving it, so maybe I’ll shake off a little more water tomorrow. Cardio / rehab day today. Will get some early morning cardio in and some stretching and foam rolling etc.

I also need to decide if I’m going to pull the trigger on a big aluminum frame steel roof pergola for the patio. We currently have a steel frame soft canopy shade structure covering our brick paved patio but its getting old and needs yet another canopy replacement and is slightly undersized for the patio. Sam’s Club has one on sale for $500 off the normal price, and the sale ends today. My only hangup is there is not a roof vent and I’m worried it might get hot under in the summer since the steel roof will conduct heat. There are not a ton of reviews on it, but most are good and some people mounted an outdoor rated ceiling fan. I think if I had one in reverse blade direction pulling air up to the roof it would keep it reasonably comfortable on the patio even on hot sunny days.

Gym
              Decent cardio session. I like doing LISS for cardio, walking about 4mph at a 4-6% incline. It doesn't result in much recovery debt, I'm able to get my heart rate up to beneficial zones, and burn a few extra calories as a bonus. I typically do LISS but occasionally I will do some HIIT as well. HIIT does create a recovery debt for me so I don't do it often, but I do enjoy the endorphin rush from higher intensity cardio. For my HIIT I typically run at 9-10 mph for one minute at 1-2% incline, then walk for four minutes at 4-6% and just repeat that 5 minute cycle for 30 minutes or so. Its kind of an easier version of HIIT with a little more recovery time. The problem I have with higher intensity cardio is that it can increase my hunger, which is not ideal in a deficit, LISS generally does not have that effect on me.

5:00am

cardio Incline treadmill LISS/HIIT
              60 Min / 4.3 Miles / 600 cals (lol, doubt that)

Facepulls
              Foam rolling back/legs

M2 10:15am (725c/76p/40f)
              5oz grilled chkn thighs, 10oz steamed broccoli
              400 Cals / 45g pro / 18g fat

M3 1:45pm (1250c/122p/70f)
              6oz pork blade steak, 45g sugar free bbq, 6oz broccoli
              525 Cals / 46g pro / 30g fat

M4 5:30pm (1875c/172p/105f)
              8oz 85% grass fed beef, 20oz riced cauliflower
              625 cals / 50g pro / 35g fat
              Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-11-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Thursday 7/12/18
                176.6 Lbs

Good to see the scale bump up a little after eating about 1900 cals yesterday . I generally see a slight uptick in weight preceding a drop. There is a theory that as the triglycerides are exhausted within a adipocyte (fat cell) the cell fills with water before expelling that water and shrinking (we never lose fat cells unfortunately). Water being heavier than fat can cause a slight uptick in scale weight which precedes a subsequent scale loss...A more detailed explanation can be found here

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo...ishy-fat.html/

I ordered my new steel roofed 12'x16' patio gazebo yesterday before the sale ended. That should be fun to assemble in the late July heat. Luckily my 5yo son is all about tools and building things lately, so maybe I can just put him and my wife on that project and I'll watch from the shaded hammock while sipping on a cold beer.

I also found a couple of potential new forum members that will have a wealth of information to share. One is an Elite level female power lifter, who diets down in the summer to win NPC female figure shows. The other is a female degreed dietician who is all about training and fitness, both will have great experiences and knowledge on the topics we all find important, so I hope to see them posting and helping new members out

5:05-6:15am / 70 Min / 36 sets

Decent session today considering I'm in full-on diet mode. Lower back was tight AF, but no problem for an upper session. I guess the foam rolling yesterday didn't take. I put in the work though, and felt pretty good doing it. DBs at the gym only go to 100 so DB rows are limited to that, I do them slowly with a nice stretch and squeeze at the top rather than as a higher intensity movement. I brought a plate loadable Oly handle from hoime and left it at the gym, but its just a pain in the ass to build a DB and I'm lazy...The oly handle loaded with 25s also limits the range of motion at the top of the movement and that's where I get a really good upper back contraction. Will muddle my way through legs and biceps tomorrow at dawn, hopefully my back will loosen up so I can squat with some intensity.

https://youtu.be/7RT6-Jxhfyc
                [youtube]7RT6-Jxhfyc[/youtube]

DB Bench
                65sX10
                80sX8
                95sX8
                95sX8 (vid)
                95sX7

SS With

DB Rows
                80sX10
                100sX10
                100sX10
                100sX10
                ----------------------------
                Pull-ups (Various Grips)
                BW+45 X 7
                BW+45 X 7
                BW+45 X 6
                BW+45 X 6
                BW+45 X 7

SS With

Dips
                BW+45 X 7
                BW+45 X 7
                BW+45 X 7
                BW+45 X 6
                BW+45 X 6
                -----------------------------
                EZ bar Skull Crushers
                80x10
                90x10
                100x10
                100x9

SS With

DB Shrugs (Slow and pause at top)
                90sX15
                90sX15
                90sX15
                TUT Tri Set

DB Rear laterals
                20sX15
                25sX12
                25sX12

Tri Set with

DB Hex Press
                50sX10
                55sX9
                55sX9

Tri Set with

Cable Straight Arm Pushdown (new)
                42.5x10
                50x12
                60x10
                60x9
                -------------------------------
                M1 7:30am

M2 10:00am (725c/76p/39f)
                10oz broccoli, 5oz bnls/sknlss grilled chkn thighs with 30g sugar free bbq
                400 Cals / 45g pro / 17g fat

* Lunch Walk 4 mi / 60 min

M3 1:30pm (1150c/114p/64f)
                6oz broccoli, 6oz 90/10 beef, 45g guacamole
                425 Cals / 38g pro / 25g fat

M4 5:15pm (1850c/194p/91f)
                20oz riced cauliflower, 12oz tilapia, 7g olive oil blend butter, serving of almonds
                700 cals / 80g pro / 27g fat

Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-12-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Friday 7/13/18
                  176.0 Lbs

Took it a little easier today, didn't push many of my sets too far. Lower back was tight starting off, but did loosen up. Felt pretty week, 335 on squats felt heavy, I am really looking forward to increasing calories and trying to build and regain a lot of lost ground on lifts. I don't think I am going to make it to as lean as I would like to get this cut. I'll get back down a little lower but I am really ready to start building, Its been over 7 months of dieting and I am about done...Likely stay around maintenance for awhile and gradually run a very small surplus. I think I will set my cut-off around 190lbs, and ideally hit that around the end of December. Not going to start just yet, but its on my mind.

60 Min / 21 sets

Squats
                  135x10
                  225x10
                  275x10
                  315x5
                  335x3

SS With

EZ Bar Curls
                  70x10
                  80x10
                  90x10
                  100x8
                  ------------------------
                  Leg Press
                  270x10
                  360x10
                  450x10
                  540x10

SS With

Romanian Deadlifts (RDLs)
                  135x10
                  225x10
                  275x6
                  275x6
                  -------------------------

Alternate DB Curls
                  40sX10
                  45sX107
                  45sX8
                  45sX8
                  ---------------------------
                  M1 7:00am

M3 1:30pm (1075c/114p/56f)
                  6oz broccoli, 6oz 90% burger
                  350 cals / 38g pro / 17g fat

M4 5:00pm (1775c/190p/86f)
                  12oz tilapia, 20oz riced cauliflower, 14ml olive oil/ then about 7g peanut butter
                  700 cals / 76g pro / 30g fat

M5 7:00 2075c/202p/110f)
                  stick of strong cheese, some almonds, few pork rinds
                  300 cals / 12g pro / 24g fat
                  Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-13-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Saturday 7/14/18
                    175.4 lbs

Alright getting back down to where wanted to get back to. Might do an extra weights session today. A forum member from another lifting forum is in town from out of state and I offered my garage gym as an option since he was looking for a place to get some lifting in on the trip. I think he’s planning to be here around 8am. Not sure what I’ll do, might do some benching and maybe use the sling shot and get some overload reps in, and will probably do some accessories. Just going to do what I want since it’s a bonus session anyway. Kind of toying with the idea of going back to a 3X per week full body program. I’ve been running my current split for a long time and I enjoy full body training. I would lose per session volume, drop a lot of the fluff accessories and focus on compound movements on a heavy, light, medium periodization.

Meeting and training with Mark (Payton1221) was great! Very genuine and down to earth guy. Fun meeting up with people like that! I didn’t do much just some chin ups and a 3x3 set of 275 on bench with slingshot.

M1 10:30am
                    3 eggs, 3 oz turkey sausage, 2 strips bacon
                    400 cals / 36g pro / 29g fat

M2 12:30pm (950c/92p/53f)
                    7oz grilled chkn thighs with 60g sugar free bbq, 15oz riced cauliflower
                    550 cals / 56g pro / 24g fat

M3 3:30pm (1475c/125p/83f)
                    6oz 90/10 burger in 15oz riced cauliflower 14ml olive oil
                    525 cals / 33g pro / 30g fat

M4 6:30pm (2075c/181p/114f)
                    8oz Farmed salmon, 14oz broccoli
                    600 cals / 56g pro / 31g fat

M5 8-10pm (2600c/201p/124f)
                    2 beers, random bites of stuff when grilling
                    525 cals / 20g pro / 10g fat
                    Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Sunday 7/15/18
                      174.6 lbs

Ended up getting a short nap in the afternoon then got some yard work done including a big load of mulch put down, and grilled some meat for the week. I also smoked some salmon but that didn’t end well, when I was unloading the smoker the glass container I was putting the fish in slid off the top of the smoker and shattered . So that batch had to be thrown out due to the potential of glass shards being in it. Then I had to spend a bunch of time making sure it was all cleaned up so the dog doesn’t find and eat salmon flavored glass....Might need to redo that project today, but otherwise today will be a rest day.

M1 8:00am

M2 12:30pm (925c/96p/48f)
                      8oz grilled thighs, 60g sugar free BBQ, 15oz riced cauliflower
                      600 cals / 65g pro / 26g fat

M3 2:30pm (1400c/120p/74f)
                      Pint of halo top icecream with peanut butter
                      475 cals / 24g pro / 26g fat

M4 6:30pm (2000c/185p/98f)
                      20oz riced cauliflower with 2oz shredded cheese, and 8oz smoked wild salmon
                      600 cals / 65g pro / 24g fat

M5 (2350c/197p/130f)
                      2oz Almonds
                      350 cals / 12g pro / 32g fat
                      Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-15-2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

While sitting on the patio and smoking some wild salmon (which was a success, turned out great and I didn’t drop it and have glass encrusted salmon this time ) I was thinking about my current programming. I have been running my current split for probably 9 months or more. I have been doing a lot of volume and much of it is what I call “Junk Volume” which is probably beneficial in a way, but I think I’d like to start moving back to more frequency focused on quality work. To accomplish this I will switch back to a full body routine, focused on compound movements for the most part. I will continue to superset antagonistic muscle groups or run super sets with two groups that won’t affect each other. I do this to save on time primarily although there has been some reasearch that supersetting antagonistic muscle groups can increase performance in both lifts.

I will be squatting on Monday and Friday and deadlifting on Wednesday. I will barbell bench Monday and Friday and Overhead press on Wednesday. It will all be listed in here with weights sets and reps. I plan to loosely follow a heavy, light, medium periodization basically determined by the rep range I target for the exercises higher reps will be lower intensity lower reps will be higher intensity.

Im working around a bit of a shoulder issue still and lower back injury is on the mend, but hopefully the lower back will be all cleared up by the time I get re-acquainted with running a full body program, The shoulder has been wonky for about a year, it is slowly improving and is less of a limiting factor but I have made some permanent changes to how I train presses, primarily being more cautious and not allowing elbows to flare on bench and OHP which seems to allow me to move more weight, but puts more stress on my shoulders.

I have been feeling a little under recovered lately, where my sleep decreases as the week progresses. I’m hoping by training with weights every other day it should help. I’ll likely do cardio and rehab stuff on Tuesday and Thursday but won’t touch weights in any heavy CNS fatiguing kind of way. Excited to change things up a little.
                        Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Monday 7/16/18
                          176.4 Lbs

I woke up to my alarm today at 3:30am which is rare for me. I normally wake up on my own before it goes off. I don't particularly enjoy waking up to an alarm.... Beginning of a new week with many changes. The first major change was at the gym. They got new (used) equipment and completely re-arranged the gym. The great thing is the Hammer Strength squat rack, the old rack in there was very unsafe and I had seen the safeties pop off the holds on failed reps several times. The used rack they brought in is much better and the space seems bigger. I did write new programming based on the old layout so my movements would be grouped close together geographically in the gym, the new layout shouldn't affect this very much, but I didn't think about the entire week of training.

The other change was to programming obviously switching back to a full body routine 3X per week. It was a little rough today, but I will adapt. I feel weak as a kitten right now with long duration diet I have run since January going from about 215 down to about 175. I will hopefully build my lifts back up when I bring the calories up, but I'd still like to thin out some sub-cutaneous fat in a few places, its seemingly stubborn to lose. In the past I have observed a slight increase in my TDEE training full body. I think it is partially due to the heavy work load rather the added volume through isolation work and fluff that makes it into my programming when I do a split.

I felt okay during the session, but it was work. I'm happy I wont be squatting and pulling deads tomorrow though ​. Target rep range will be 6 reps on my work sets on "Heavy Day"

5:05- 6:20am / 75 Min / 36 sets

Squats
                          135x10
                          225x6
                          275x6
                          315x6
                          315x5
                          315x5

SS With

Alternate DB Curls
                          35sX10
                          40sX8
                          45sX8
                          45sX8
                          45sX8
                          BB Bench-press
                          135x10
                          185x6
                          225x6
                          225x5
                          225x5
                          225x4

SS With

Cable Rows (Will switch to BB Row when lower back is ready)
                          160x10
                          180x10
                          200x8
                          200x8
                          220x6
                          220x6
                          Dips
                          BWx10
                          BW+45 X6
                          BW+45 X6
                          BW+45 X6
                          BW+45 X6

SS With

Face Pulls
                          30x20
                          35x15
                          35x15
                          35x15
                          35x15
                          -------------------------------
                          DB BTN Triceps press
                          50x12
                          60x8
                          60x10
                          --------------------------------

M3 2:15pm (1100c/114p/56f)
                          6oz 90/10 beef, 10oz broccoli
                          375 cals / 38g pro /17g fat

M4 5:45pm (1700c/194p/76f)
                          12oz smoked salmon, 20oz riced cauliflower, 15ml olive oil
                          600 cals / 80g pro / 20g fat
                          Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-16-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Tuesday 7/17/18
                            174.6 Lbs

Not bad getting back down to where I was before vacation and a few days of eating big. Probably continue on getting a little leaner since I seem to be in a good groove with hunger control. I am looking forward to getting into a building phase though. Hate where my lifts currently are and I feel too small. I still want to thin my skin out a little more around my waist though, as it seems like visceral fat deposits come back first, so if I am careful with my building phases I won't need to grind on the stubborn fat again.

We took a short road trip yesterday after work to get a kitchen hutch my wife found on Craigslist. Works out well, frees up a lot of cabinet space and allows for easier access to the kitchen gadgets we use frequently. The original plan was to do another bank of lower cabinets and a counter top, but glad we went this route, less work for me and much cheaper since we would have needed custom built cabinets to fit the space. Now I'm going to buy or build a pot rack since the one we had is too big for the new spot it will go above the sink.

Just did some cardio and random stretching today. I think I will probably start doing Stuart McGill Big 3 on Tuesdays and Thursdays for lower back rehab/pre-hab. Full body session #2 tomorrow.

Cardio Incline Treadmill 4 MPH / 6.5% incline
                            45 min / 3 Miles / 450 cals

3 eggs, 3oz turkey sausage, 1 slice mozzarella, multis 2g fish oil
                            400 Cals / 37g pro / 28g fat

M2 10:00am (800c/82p/45f)

*Lunch walk 60 Min / 4 miles

M3 1:30pm (1175c/120p/62f)
                            6oz 90/10 beef, 10oz broccoli
                            375 cals / 38g pro /17g fat

M4 5:15pm (1900c/205p/92f)
                            12oz smoked salmon, 20oz riced cauliflower, 15ml olive oil, then a few pork rinds and Giardiniera
                            725c cals / 85g pro / 30g fat
                            Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-17-2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Wednesday 7/18/18
                              174.8 Lbs

Full Body session #2 was decent. I would normally program deadlifts early in the session when fresh but since my lower back is a limiting factor I will do them toward the end. I had planned to superset DB rows with DB bench, but skipped the DB rows since I was planning to do deads for reps, and it seemed redundant. Its always nice changing the order of exercises a little, I got more reps than normal on OHP but lost reps on DB bench, got more reps on pull-ups doing those early. I liked it, it flowed well. I might swap out the lunges for leg press though on Wednesdays not sure yet. Lunges take more time, and I was running short on that today. I did manage to get a couple sets of fluff work in at the end just because I want to include a chest fly movement and why not hit the triceps a little more.

I am also experimenting with my macros starting today. I am adding some carbs back in. Typically any carb source makes me very hungry really quickly. I think there was some hormonal implications such as insulin resistance when I was heavier and fatter, which is likely why I responded to a keto like diet so well. I'm curious if that has changed now that I'm in the low double digit body fat range. I think it should have since "Metabolic Syndrome" seems to be strongly correlated with higher body fat, its kind of a vicious circle IMO.

Overall it was a good session and damn did I miss whey and oats as a post WO meal. Thinking that the carbs should fill me out a little too, so I might see a slight increase in scale weight despite the fact that I am going to try to get just a little leaner before switching to maintenance and then likely a small controlled surplus.

5:00-6:25am / 85 Min / 38 sets

BB OHP
                              45x10
                              95x8
                              115x6
                              135x6
                              135x6
                              135x6
                              135x5

SS With

Pull-ups (Various grip)
                              BW+45 X 7
                              BW+45 X 8
                              BW+45 X 7
                              BW+45 X 7
                              BW+45 X 7
                              BW+45 X 7
                              BB Lunges (Each leg reps, then switch) (Swap for leg press?)
                              135x8
                              155x8
                              175x6
                              175x6
                              175x6

SS With

DB Hammer Curls
                              35sX10
                              40sX10
                              40sX10
                              40sX10
                              Deadlift ( Slow and Controlled, focus on form and getting quality reps/ no grinders)
                              135x10
                              225x5
                              315x5
                              365x5
                              365x5
                              365x5

SS With

DB Bench
                              65sX10
                              80sX8
                              90sX8
                              90sX7
                              90sX7
                              --------------------------------

EZ Skull Crushers
                              80x10
                              90x10
                              100x8

SS With

DB Flys
                              50sX10
                              50sX9
                              ----------------------------------

80g Oatmeal, 45g whey, multivitamins and 2g fish oil
                              485 Cals / 46g pro / 9g fat

M2 10:00am (890c/91p/26f)
                              10oz broccoli, 5oz bnls/sknlss grilled chkn thighs with 45g sugar free bbq
                              405 Cals / 45g pro / 17g fat

M3 1:00pm (1350c/124p/61f)
                              6oz 90/10 burger 2oz homemade avocado oil Giardiniera
                              460 Cals / 33g pro / 35g fat

M4 5:00pm (2050c/188p/93f)
                              8oz smoked salmon, 20oz riced cauliflower, 15ml olive oil, almonds
                              650 cals / 64g pro / 32g fat
                              Last edited by Plateauplower; 07-18-2018, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X